It is a term that is defined as a technology that offers services via the internet platform. Users of this service have access to free or pay all depends on the service you need to use.
The term is a trend that responds to multiple integrated features. One of the examples is “cloud” service is provided by Google Apps that incorporates a browser to store data on their servers. Programs must be online servers and can access to services and information through the Internet.
Features of Could Computing
One of the main differences Could Computing is no need to know the infrastructure behind it, becomes “a cloud” where applications and services can easily grow (scalar), run fast and almost never fail, without knowing the Details of how this “cloud”.
This type of service is paid according to some metric of consumption, not for used equipment itself, but for example in electricity consumption or use of CPU / hour as in the case of Amazon EC2. Among other features we can mention:
- Auto Reparable: In case of failure, the last backup application automatically becomes the primary copy and a new one is generated.
- Scalable: The whole system / architecture is predictable and efficient. If a server handles 1,000 transactions, 2 servers will handle 2000 transactions.
- Governed by a Service Level Agreement (SLA) that defines various policies and what are the expected performance times and if peak, create more instances. For AWS still wonders if the SLA is suitable .
- Virtualized: Applications are independent of the hardware on which to run even more applications can run on the same machine or an application can use several machines at once.
- Multipurpose: The system is created in such a way that allows different customers to share infrastructure without worrying about it without compromising your security and privacy
Examples of Cloud Computing
There are several large companies that are dedicated to providing these services, promoting easy access to our information, low cost, scalability and many features that makes us think of the comfort they give us, among them include:
- Google Apps : offers the service of business applications such as Gmail, Google Talk, Google Calendar and Google Docs, etc.
- Amazon Web Services : the services offered are the Amazon EC2 ™, Amazon S3 ™, ™ SimpleDB, Amazon SQS ™.
Microsoft Azure : provides operating system services, hosting, systems development.
Rackspace , a famous web hosting company, is behind Mosso a company which offers basic hosting package and from this is scaled as needed (without migrating servers).
Recently Rackspace acquired JungleDisk , a popular client for Amazon S3 and in the future will be integrated with CloudFiles, another service Mosso .
Integrating services and views against
The Cloud Computing provides an interesting picture regarding the integration of technologies, RWW refer to a new era that integrates three layers: SaaS, Cloud Computing, Core Technology where explain the importance of such integration.
Moreover Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project leader claimed to be against the use of “cloud” :
One reason why they should not use web applications is that you lose control … it’s as bad as using proprietary software.
Both views are valid think the first is a way to integrate the options have to take advantage of current technology and respond to trends. However, Stallman are right with your posture because with this kind of trend all information to third party services it provides, somehow losing control.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cloud Computing
Among the advantages of Computing Clound can be mentioned:
- Access to information and services from anywhere.
- Free and paid services according to user needs.
- Companies with ease of scalability
- Processing power and storage machines without installing locally.
Among the disadvantages we can mention:
- Access all information to third parties.
- Dependence on online services.